Download Competition PDF
Who can enter?
- Professional Photographers 18 years of age and older. If your main source of income is photography, you are considered a professional photographer.
- Amateur Photographers 18 years of age and older. If your main source of income is not photography, you are considered an amateur photographer. Those (beginners and regulars) who randomly make photographs and/or show an active interest in photography, though not necessarily to earn an income, are amateurs.
- Individuals only, no group entry.
- Only one (1) entry per class.
- File Specifications – RGB, JPG Format, 72 dpi, must be equal to 2000px (longer side)
- No watermark, copyright unit or logo can be displayed on image.
- Only bleed photograph without borders.
- Photograph can only be entered once into the LA County Fair.
- No hard copy entry form or photo will be permitted.
- Entry must be submitted online and will be judged from the uploaded image.
- Entry Fee $2.00
Copyright on image
- Entrant must ensure they own undisputed copyright to their uploaded entry. Copyright of photograph submitted rest with the photographer.
- Fairplex may use entry submitted for marketing & promoting the LA County Fair although there will not be any monetary compensation for the same. Neither Fairplex nor their associates, affiliates or partners assume any responsibility for the photograph submitted in violation of competition rules/copyright regulations. An image that demonstrates violations on copyright and/or competition policies will be removed & disqualified by Fairplex after due investigations.
- Photography is a juried competition and The American System of Judging will be used. This judging process ranks exhibitors against one another and gives one first, second and third place award in each class as merited.
- The judges decisions shall be final.
- Only winning entries will be notified via e-mail by May 24 with additional information.
- Only winning entries will be displayed.
- April 24 – On line entry form and upload of photograph due
- May 24 – Notification of winning entry
- June 8 – Delivery of winning photograph 8:00am – 5:00pm to the DIY Design Studio
- August 30 – September 22 – Display of the photograph at the LA County Fair in the DIY Design Studio
- September 25 – Pick up of photograph 8:00am – 7:00pm at the DIY Design Studio
Featured Competitions Classes
Division 2610 - Professional
Division 2611 - Amateur
- Class 1 – People
- Class 2 – Children/Families
- Class 3 – Food
- Class 4 – Landscape/Seascape
- Class 5 – Architecture/Urban Scene
- Class 6 – Plants
- Class 7 – Animals/Sea Life/Insects
- Class 8 – Special Effects/Computer Manipulated
- Class 9 – Other, specify
- Class 10 – Pop Culture**
- Best of Show - Rosette & $165.00
Please Note: The Best of Show award is chosen from all first place winners in the division. It may be given as warranted at the discretion of the judges.
- Best Representation of Theme - Rosette & $165.00
Please Note: The Best Representation of Theme award may be given as warranted at the discretion of the judges and is chosen from the class 10 entries.
- 1st - Rosette
- 2nd - Rosette
- 3rd - Rosette
- Please Note: Rosette may be given out in each class as warranted at the discretion of the judges.
The LA County Fair pays premiums only in those divisions and/or class specifically listed. Premium checks will be mailed within six (6) weeks following the close of the LA County Fair. The LA County Fair is not responsible for redemption of premiums.
Display of Winning Entries
If your entry has been selected you will need to drop off your photograph on Saturday, June 8 from 8:00am – 5:00pm at the DIY Design Center.
- If you are unable to drop off your entry at this time you may send someone in your place or mail your entry. If mailing your entry, it must arrive by 4:00pm on Thursday, June 6.
- Entry must be ready to hang - must have sturdy hardware and be wired. No sawtooth hangers or spring clip frames please.
- An identification tag will be issued for the entry and the exhibitor will be given a claim check for the entry.
- The Fair assumes total design control over the exhibit. The design staff shall determine location and placement of the photograph. No exhibit changes will be made after the photograph is on display.
- All reasonable care will be taken in handing and displaying the exhibit, but the LA County Fair assumes no responsibility for loss or damage whatsoever the cause. Submitting an entry implies acceptance of this rule. If insurance is desired, the exhibitor must carry it.
- Entry will be displayed during the 2019 LA County Fair August 30 – September 22.
- If your entry has been selected you will need to drop off your photograph on Saturday, June 8 from 8:00am – 5:00pm at the DIY Design Center.
Pick Up of Winning Entries
- Entry must be picked up Wednesday, September 25 from 8:00am – 7:00pm at the DIY Design Center.
- If you are unable to pick up your entry at this time, you may send someone in your place with the claim check for that entry or return shipping is available for a fee of $20.00 payable at the time of drop off of your entry. You must provide return shipping packaging material and entry will be returned by October 31, 2019. Breakable, fragile or extremely heavy articles will NOT be returned by mail, such entry MUST be picked up.
- If entry is not picked up then it will be donated to charity.